Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default opinion of GE water heaters

Heathcliff wrote:
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H

I've been told that ten years is about the limit for w.h. I lived in a
home that had AO Smith x2 that each lasted about 5 years; very hard
water, no softener. Do you drain it yearly?