Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default GFI Outlet

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Sep 10, 9:14 am, "desgnr" wrote:
I just installed a GFI outlet for my Washer & Dryer.
Twice in the last week the outlet was tripped when i went to use the Washer.
I pushed the Reset & it worked fine for the whole load.
I never had any problems with the Regular outlet i replaced with the GFI
outlet.
Can it be a defective GFI ?
snip

The appliances should be on a 20A circuit. If you grabbed a 15A GFI
off the shelf it will trip on every motor surge. Better stick with a
20A receptacle (look for the T-shaped slot) and use a AFCI in your
panel.

Joe

That may be true, but the OP said it did NOT trip when the washer was
being used. I recommend the OP pay attention to when it DOES trip.
When the dryer is used? When alother appliance in the house is used?
When the ham radio transmitter in the next room is used? That kind of
investigation should lead to the real solution. It is possible the
GFCI is bad, but it is also very possible it is not. Perhaps another
wiring error incorrectly cross wiring another circuit is the cause.

Also, are there any children around the house who may press the "test"
button?

Pat

Hi,
Actually washer and dryer should be fed by different circuit.
20A for washer and 30A for dryer. I'd use GFCI breaker at the panel.