Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Tablesaw comparison/buying guide

On Sep 10, 12:11*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Bill" wrote:
I "knew" someone was going to say something like that--and your
point is well taken.
It just looks so, so, so... convenient. * I have read at least half
of Bill Hylton's book,
"Woodworking With The Router"--which I thought was enough for
someone
who didn't own a router, and he went through the design of a nice
router table in excruciating
detail. It was a good read.

Take a look at the NYW unit.

Understand it is the most popular project Norm ever built.

*Since then I inherited two Craftsman routers
from the mid 70's (1/2 and 1 HP I think, are they worth messing
with?).

NO!!!

The first time you use one and the bit slips in the collet destroying
a valuable piece of wood, you will understand.

Damn things don't even make good boat anchors.

Lew

Lew, I might have to disagree with you on this. I have been as big a
Craftsman basher as any regarding the their drop in quality over the
past 30 years. But during early 70's and before they did build some
good stuff. I have one each early 70's Router, and 7" circular saw
that my wife bought as gifts in the early 70's. Both were of solid
metal construction and both are still doing the job. The only
disadvantage of the router is the 1/4" collet that I just haven't got
around to replacing, but it holds depth fine and is a good second
machine when doing multiple contours.

The old saw is kinda beat up and has had to cord and brushes replaced
but still works fine. When we were starting our house last year, our
framer saw it and offered to trade one of his new Dewalts for it.
"Good looking saw. They don't make them like that anymore!" he said.

I also owned one of their late 70's table saws and I'm glad its gone.

RonB