Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default resawn floorboards (from old joists)

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can get oak for less than that..a lot less.

Its about £30 a cubic foot. That's a raw lumber price at say 25mm
thickness (planed to 19mm) of around 75p a sq foot. Or maybe £7.50 a
square meter. OK sawing and planing takes it up a LOT, but not that
much.

But oak isn't to everybody's taste aesthetically. Visually I find it a
bit bland (yes, even quarter sawn), plus it reminds me of schools and
official buildings.

I also wonder if this cheap oak TNP goes on about is available in the same
widths as was common with Victorian pine? Narrower just doesn't look right
in many rooms. And of course T&G will be narrower by nature.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.