Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default resawn floorboards (from old joists)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Structural timber has always been chosen to be knot free. Not so
floorboards.

What planet are you on? Is this a new Drivel sock puppet?

I'm wondering the same about you. I've lots of experience of London
Victorian houses. And only speak from what I've seen. You'll get plenty of
knots in cosmetic timber including floorboards - but not in joists, etc.

And it's reasonable to assume any Victorian joists still around came
from somewhere that didn't fall down - or at least not due to joists
failing.

I'm wondering if you have any experience of this sort of timber?

Pulled enough of it totally rotten out of this house.

Crap design of house, then. Plenty of those around. No wood is immune from
rot if the conditions are right for it.

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.