Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default resawn floorboards (from old joists)

On Sep 9, 9:24*pm, Rob G wrote:
On 9 Sep, 15:40, RobertL wrote:

For flooring an extension to my Victorian house I am planning to use
reclaimed victorian floorboard (with suitable *insulation under). ebay
item 220474833588 is an example.

However, an alternative is "resawn floorboards" where the supplier has
sawn up victorian joists to make 'new' old floorboards. * * ebay item
130325590872 is an example.

*Is there anything to aware of with such resawn boards? *is the joist
wood likely to be softer for example, or to have more knots in it?

Robert

This is quite a difficult one to call as the pictures do show wood
that is not heavily knotted, is quite straight and tight grained, but
is also from trees of quite small diameter such that it will have a
tendency to cup. *Add that it is not T&G and I think you might have
problems with it as the *t &g do tend to hold the wood flat - you nail
through the tongue.

If you do go for it I would recommend finding first a joiner with a
spindle moulder who is prepared to cut the tongues and grooves. *That
may not be too easy on second hand wood as it may contain nails.

Rob

I can understand that applying to new wood, but old dry timber?

NT