Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default resawn floorboards (from old joists)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
geraldthehamster wrote:
Likely if anything to be the very best timber of its type.

I have 30 sq m of resawn pitch pine floorboards, sawn from beams, in
storage waiting to go into my master bedroom once the plaeterer has
finished. They came from an eBy seller in E. Yorks. The timber is in
excellent condition, with no noticeable defects. A couple of the
longer boards have rectangular holes towards the ends, where the cut
went across a mortise ;-)

;-) Indeed.

The advantage of re-sawn boards is that you get good quality 100-year-
old well-seasoned timber, but newly cut and intact tongues and
grooves.

You'd be hard pressed to find timber of that quality at affordable prices
new. If at all.

Bwahaha.

http://www.ukarchitecturalantiques.c...loorboards_219

about £30 per square meter

I can get oak for less than that..a lot less.

Its about £30 a cubic foot. That's a raw lumber price at say 25mm
thickness (planed to 19mm) of around 75p a sq foot. Or maybe £7.50 a
square meter. OK sawing and planing takes it up a LOT, but not that much.

http://www.adoos.co.uk/post/1942892/..._starting_from

they claim £13 a square meter.

Id say £20 is nearer for most places I've looked.

But most Victorian floorboards weren't tongue and groove. Too much
movement in the average Victorian house. ;-)

And lack of spindle moulders