Silvan

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

Mannanan MacLir wrote:

I am building an oak cabinet, roughly 48 inches wide, 30 high, and 10 deep
which will contain glassware. I want to wall mount this unit, and I was
wondering if (normal) walls are up to the task, and what are the best
means of anchoring it to the wall to have the best support. Any ideas?

I don't know what that "French cleat" flummy Jack was talking about is. It
may be what I'm about to describe.

I had to hang an obscenely heavy mirror in my dining room. It's a huge,
thick piece of glass fastened to an ornate wooden backing with mirror
clips.

It needed to be in the center of the wall, needed to span as many studs as
possible, and had to be screwed behind the glass. The way I tackled that
was to lag screw two 2x3 strips so that they spanned three or four studs.
I did chin-ups on the strips a couple of times to prove to myself that they
could take the weight (the mirror weighs a lot, but I weigh more and
then I lag screwed the wooden backing to the strips in convenient places.
Put the glass on, and it's held up for years.

You could do the same kind of thing for a cabinet easily. If you have any
doubts about the weight, add it up and talk to your local building
inspector.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/