Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default resawn floorboards (from old joists)

Stuart Noble wrote:
RobertL wrote:
For flooring an extension to my Victorian house I am planning to use
reclaimed victorian floorboard (with suitable insulation under). ebay
item 220474833588 is an example.

However, an alternative is "resawn floorboards" where the supplier has
sawn up victorian joists to make 'new' old floorboards. ebay item
130325590872 is an example.

This reminds me of European Whitewood aka Xmas tree. The dark ring round
the knots, and the fluffy end grain suggest some kind of spruce, but the
12" width is mighty unusual. From the photos I'd say it wouldn't be a
particularly hard wearing material.
A bit of a gamble given that you don't know too much about the timber.
The terms "Quebec Pine" and "seasoned" really don't mean anything. 100
year old timber is just as likely to distort as the modern stuff if it's
encountering central heating for the first time.

absolutely. silk purses and sows ears..