Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi Luigi Zanasi is offline

Default Metric

On Sep 8, 6:08*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I now make parts for different people who e-mail/fax me drawings so I
can quote on them.
Some parts are such that I can't tell what they are or what they're
the purpose of them are.
Sometimes I see dimensions as obviously imperial ones, sometime it is
hard to tell, especially when I have NO clue what these parts are.
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what system is used as I work in
both metric and imperial.
But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an
archaic system?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9974/metricmap.jpg

It all boils down to time Robatoy. *It takes you longer to say metric stuff
than inche stuff. *Time is money.

In the time we can say 1/2 inch and measure it. *You are still listening to
the guy calling out, *gimme Twelve m *i *l *l * - *i *- *m *e *t *e *r *s.
Or drive one mile vs. drive one k * i * l * l *- *o *- * m * e * t * e * r .

Too many dang syllables in that metric stuff.

Sorry Leon, but I can say "three mils" faster than you can say "three
sixteenths. :-)