Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_20_] Tim[_20_] is offline

Default cheapest place to find insulation

"stryped" wrote in message
On Sep 8, 6:27 pm, Wes wrote:
stryped wrote:
I am wanting to insulate my 30x30 shop with 2x4 walls on 2 foot
centers. Is there an online source for insulation or is Lowes or home
depot the cheapest place to go. Money is getting tight. I can use r13
or r-19. I live in Kentucky. The winters get cold but it is not like
some of you guys up north. And this is a garage/hobby shop not a place
of business.

Any suggestions? I have done a search and found unfaced r-19 for 30
bucks for 75 square feet but if I am figuring right that comes up to
600 bucks.

Fairly bulky, I doubt you can mail order it. Why unfaced? Faced gives you
something to
staple to the studs or trusses to hold it in place before drywalling. Btw,
I think
drywall is cheaper than osb and it adds a lot of fire resistance to your
building.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

-Here osb is less than 6 bucks a sheet but to be honest it is not just
-the cost but the fact I have to mudd drywall and I have never done
-that before.
-
-By the way guys, a local contrator is selling insulated 2 inch thick
-foam sheets that came out of a school remodel for 10 bucks a sheet.
-Would styrofoam type insulation between the rafter beams work for
-insulation? (With osb underneath?)
-
-I live near Tennessee not up north but it would be nice to heat it up
-nice with a keroscene heater.

The problem with both ideas is fire resistance. Styrofoam is a good
insulator, but I doubt much better than fiberglass and is so flammable, same
with OSB. I would pay extra for drywall and fiberglass. Drywall is super
easy to work, especially when compared to OSB. You can simply cut the paper
on one side with a utility knife, and break it like glass. Then run your
knife down the valley caused by the break and fold to free the pieces. Tape
and paper is very simple too. I would guess the taped drywall would add more
insulation value than OSB. OSB would be tough, but I would put it over the
drywall only where needed for durability, and that shouldn't be very much.

I would