Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Metric

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

The hold-out is that the US is still at least somewhat responsive to
the will of the people and the public doesn't _want_ some bizarre
French system
crammed down its throat.

So instead of getting paid in dollars and cents should we change to a
system of farthings, shillings, or ringgits?

Much of our country happily works with metric every day and have for
decades. Those people don't look any worse for wear.

As mentioned, it is all what you are used to. As a born Hllander who
came to the US in '69 at 25 yoa, I should tell you that getting used to
inches and feet is not that easy at first, and I still have trouble with
the farting fractions of an inch. The metric system, once you get used
to it is much easier (IMNSHO) than the US system. An important thing to
get under your hat is the idea of order of magnitude (1, 10, 100, 1000,
etc). This will make it much easier to estimate whether your
calculations were right, or that you forgot to enter a digit on your
calculator, which then very accurately gave you an undesired answer.
Know our orders of magnitude, and whoosh goes that problem.

Nevertheless, miles, feet, inches come pretty natural to me now, as do
meters, centimeters and nanometers. To interchange them, I need a
calculator calibrated to about 2.54 (cm/inch).

--
Best regards
Han