Posted to alt.home.repair
Nicola O. Nicola O. is offline

Default Wet Bathroom Wall

On Sep 7, 7:46*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:09:08 -0700 (PDT), "Nicola O."

Did you find the leak?!?

Phish, no, nothing specific. I have the long wall (the outside wall)
demo-ed except for the insulation, which is where I've stopped for the
day. The two end walls appear drier (the wall where the fittings are
and then the one opposite there) so it's more work to pull down the
tile and wallboard there. The wall seems dry where the fixtures are,
but the grout looks really crappy. It'll come down, and we'll see
what we shall see.

Tony, thanks for the tip. I haven't pulled the insulation down yet to
check if there's a problem with the sheathing. What I see is bare wood
behind the roll-type insulation. I'm in late 60's construction, so
not sure what there is for a moisture barrier.

cshenk, the studding is at least doubled in almost every location.
There's like 6 verticals in the back corner (!!) and two sets of nail
holes. We moved in just 2 years ago -- I'm thinking the owners did
for resale exactly what I'm doing-- now sistered in the studs,
retiled, and did a crap job on the grout.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.