Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Wet Bathroom Wall

wrote:
Nicola O. wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I didn't see it with a
quick search-- if you'll forgive a noob--

I've got a wet bathroom wall, tiled surround, outside wall. I've
pulled off some of the tile and backer board and the studs are also
wet/damp to different degrees, worst around the nails which were so
corroded they practically crumbled. There is roll-style insulation
with foil backing-- I can see by poking around the edges of it, that
the insulation is blackened and the outside wall has some black on it
too.

The studs don't appear to be badly rotted but it is softened. It's
worst around the nail holes, soft and black.

So if I pull out the insulation, spray down the walls with bleach, let
dry, then replace everything, does that seem adequate? Is there a
good test of how wet is "too" wet?

The wet wall is tiled surround? Shower? Most likely the tile grout had
cracks or pin-holes that allowed water intrusion, which has happened to
other units in our condo. I don't know "how wet is too wet", but it
wouldn't hurt to sister in a couple of 2x4's since you have to open up
the wall. For sure, spray with bleach and allow to dry very sell.

For sure, look at attic and exterior of wall, including fascia and
soffits, to see if any signs of leaks before you close up the wall. I've
seen a lot of water come in through small gaps in fascia. A leaky roof
can shed water far from the leak, such as if the water follows a rafter
or wiring across from where the water comes in.

Hi,
If that is the case. outside wall sheathing is said to be black
somewhat. Sounds like exterior wall is not air tight as well as tiled
wall has water leak. Whatever exterior wall finish is, underneath there
should be wrap like Tyvek and sheathing ans insulation and blue sheet
rock and tiles. Careful investigation will reveal the cause(s).