Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Tite Bond II...Hardware Store says it has the fewest complaints

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:27:50 -0500, dpb wrote:

krw wrote:
Along those lines... What, besides the markeering on the bottle, is
the difference between TB2 and TB3. Price, I know.

TB-III (3) passes ANSI Type-2 waterproof test; TB-II (2) only Type-I (I
know, that TB product #3 is a #2 test is cornfoozing).

Now someone here is confused... I know I am. ;-)

http://www.titebond.com/ProductLineT...ne=2&prodcat=1
"Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part
wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance
specification. It is ideal for exterior woodworking projects,
including outdoor furniture, birdhouses, mailboxes, planters and
picnic tables."

The difference is the level of water resistance; neither is truly
waterproof as epoxy/resorcinal/etc. but use TB-III for exterior work
that does get wet; otherwise no real reason to use it. Well, there is
actually one other reason but not particularly related to the
water-resistance issue; TB-III has quite a lot lower chalk temperature
(I forget the exact number and am too lazy to look it up at the moment
, after all it is Labor Day vbg) but it's roughly 50F. That can be
a benefit in exterior use as well.

Didn't know what "chalk temperature" was so

According to the Titebond site, TB2 is good to 55F and TB3 to 46F. Not
too much of a difference.

The bottle also says that TB3 has a longer set-up time, which can be a
benefit for klutzes like me.