Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default WARNING! WARNING! OT ........... guns!

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 17:15:54 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 13:21:20 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have a pack of 1,000 CCI #200 primers. What are they worth, and
do they deteriorate with age? Have two boxes of ought six ammo,
and two boxes of brass. What is all that worth? Just want to
sell it for a friend who's aging. And about fifty looks to be Jap
rifle rounds 7.5 and TOYO marked (stamped) on the base.

Thanks

Steve

Last x thousand #200s I bought were $12 per thousand. August of last
year. Now I understand that they are up around $45 per thousand.
Make
of which you want from that.

06 ammo is about a dollar a round to 1.50 a round at current
pricing. Normally its about .50 cents a round. (depends on brand
and bullet as well)

Brass, if once fired is worth a dime each.

The jap ammo, if boxer primed and in good shape are worth about $1-2
each for once fired cases. Hard to find and not very common. And
nearly
impossible to make from other cases. Ive paid $2.50 a round for
once fired 7.7 jap.

If its 7.5 marked..its possible to be Swiss or even French caliber.

Hope that helps

Gunner

7.7's can be fire-formed from '06 brass - but the neck will be
short . I've got 20 rounds (semi-commercial reloads , from '06
brass), but out of 5 rounds I've fired , I got two head seps , one
shoulder crack , and two split necks . It might be that my type 99
has excessive headspace , or it might be that these were loaded way
too hot . I need to get it checked ... wouldn't happen to have a
go-no go set for 7.7 , would you ?

Ah...check the base specs when converting 06 to 7.7....the 06 is about
.020 smaller at the web than is the 7.7. When you fire formed those
cases..they got balloon shaped at the base..and when you fired normal
velocity loads..they started to go and head seperate.

I didn't do these , they were purchased at a gun show . And both Sierra
and Speer handloading manuals say the head dimensions are virtually
identical . In fact , the '06 is .020 bigger at the shoulder ... how ever ,
miked fired cases tell another story . At .375 from the head , the fired
case mikes .478 , which just shouldn't be . Unfired case mikes .466 , which
is a lot closer to what I'd expect . I should check the (new and unused
....yet) reloading dies ...

No..I dont, but its easy to check with a mic or caliper. Simply mic em
out at the web. (flash hole area on the outside)

At the datum line .150 from the head , both cases (fired and unfired) mike
at .464 , a bit smaller than I'd expect . BTW , these are LC mil brass that
have been reformed .

Neck and shoulders are easy to take care of with a little propane
torch
and a bowl of water. Simple stand em up in the bowl, fill with water
so
the neck and shoulder are above the water line, heat em with the torch
until they are a faint dull red, and then kick em over into the water.
Neck annealing is required when setting the shoulder that far back
when
doing an 06 to 7.7 conversion.

I checked those cases again , my memory was faulty . Got six fired cases ,
three split necks and all with the bulge ahead of the web . And all primers
show signs of excessive pressure - swedged hard into the bolt face and
firing pin , outside edge of primer cup shows definite signs of excessive
pressure . These cases show no signs of annealing .

The Japs were pretty good about headspacing em right. Even on the very
late war Last Ditch rifles. As long as the bolt serial matches the
receiver serial, Ive never seen a bad headspace on a jap. And Ive
checked at least 100 or more. I have a number of conversions based on
the japs..decent receiver for making a heavy barrel action cheap.

And the Jap action is the strongest..bar none...strongest military
action ever made before 1980

I'd heard of the almost legendary strength of this action . This
particular specimen was my father's deer rifle . Saw service from 1946 thru
1964 and killed it's fair share of venison . It's not like I NEED to fire it

Gunner

I strongly suspect these cartriges are overloads , I thought so at the time
we fired them (been a few years) . I might break them down and remake them ,
using a lower velocity charge just to see what that does . Or not , this one
is more about the sentimental value than anything .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"