Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WARNING! WARNING! OT ........... guns!

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 19:07:22 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Snag" wrote:

7.7's can be fire-formed from '06 brass - but the neck will be short .
I've got 20 rounds (semi-commercial reloads , from '06 brass), but out of 5
rounds I've fired , I got two head seps , one shoulder crack , and two split
necks . It might be that my type 99 has excessive headspace , or it might be
that these were loaded way too hot . I need to get it checked ... wouldn't
happen to have a go-no go set for 7.7 , would you ?

The case head diam of 06 cartridges is too small. I have two arisaka's and a fair
investment in Norma 7.7 brass.

Wes

Ayup. They are usable,...but keep velocity down to cast bullet speeds or
the heads will indeed come off..particularly if they are reloaded from
other fired cases before after conversion.

Im having a stroke moment..but there is another cartridge that works
better than the 06...Ill have to ponder on it for a bit.
Nope..never mind..I was thinking about the 6.5 jap.
Sigh...

I see Norma is making 7.7 again...its about a buck a round for new
unprimed cases. Gun auction sites are selling it.

Lots of Japs collecting dust in cabinets that could be shot quite
accurately and with good effect and fun.

The 6.5s are great fun and the brass is fairly easy to convert from the
308, but will take several steps to get it down to the right size, so
lube well, lube often and so forth. G

But...my favorite 6.5 is the Swede...Ive several Finn versions, some Ive
converted to sniper rifles..and are very very accurate and the brass is
easy to make or purchase.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates