Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Metalworking

Ok, so how would you go about making a set of jaws for a
three jaw scroll chuck? Can you do it without the use of a
computer?

I've made several sets of soft jaws for my two scroll chucks that were made
before reversible jaws were made separately from the scroll.

The first job is determining the shape of a tooth. Use an edge finder and
DRO to get three representative points on each side of the tooth. These
three points determine a circle, use a CAD program or a circle calculator to
find the radius, center and arc end points.

From here I wrote a CNC program to cut scroll teeth. You could do the same
thing with a rotary table.

Karl

Required political comment to qualify for an RCM post: The only thing I hate
worse than right wing extremist comments form the likes of Gunner is
extremist left wing comments from the likes of Cliff.

Karl