Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Let the brainwashing begin .............

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
On 2009-09-03, John R. Carroll wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Ignoramus30623 wrote:
I cannot believe it that people are afraid that a president is going
to make a speech to their children. Even assuming that the president
would say something with which a parent would disagree with,
isolating children from presidential speeches is an inadequate
answer.

The better approach would be to explain to the children that not
everyone has to agree with the president about everything, highlight
differences between your opinion and the president's etc.

Trying to hide the president's speech from children is similar to
sticking one's head in the sand when you hear bad news. It is not a
productive approach and leads to living in an imaginary world.

Let's wait until the speech and then we can see if it is as evil as
some are expecting it to be. If it will be the case, then I will
adjust my understanding of reality, and if it is not, then those who
expected it to be evil, should adjust theirs.

Unless, of course, they see it as protecting their children from
political propaganda...
Is "propaganda" something that is evil universally? Or is Democratic
propaganda more evil than Republican propaganda? Or the reverse? Would
you want to isolate your children from both kinds of propaganda? Would
you expect that isolating children from "propaganda" may make them
resistant to it when they encounter it?

Would it not be a good idea to expose children to various age
appropriate political topics and discuss those topics with kids in a
respectful fashion?

You're being much too reasonable here, Iggy. Get with the program. The
idea is to teach your kids that the president is evil, and that they're
not allowed to listen to him because your little mind can't take it.

That's how you raise good little narrow-minded conservatives. It's the
American way.

For example, I do not like George W Bush, but if he wanted to make a
speech to children, I would not want to hide the speech from them --
but I would discuss it critically afterwards.

Bush speeches are good for you. They're a cautionary tale about getting
"C's" in school. d8-)

True. You can get C's in school, and still go on to be one of the most
successful individuals in the world...

He'll probably be remembered more as one of the worst presidents in US
history.

- Oilman, Jet fighter pilot, major sports franchise owner, governor of a
major state, president of the U.S.
My GPA was a lot better, but my accomplishments are far less.

It's amazing what you can do with a Yale legacy admission...and a father
who's President of the United States.

--
Ed Huntress