Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 220v conversion question

To have zero volts and some current - all it takes is phase shift.

Phase angle between voltage and current is well known.

Eli the Ice Man
Voltage leads current in inductive (E L I ) L is inductive
ICE Current leads voltage in a capacitive circuit.

So if you attach a motor to the AC lines - The voltage will
go to zero before current does......

Martin

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Tom Veatch wrote:
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:56:47 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Well, Tom... seeing as we're into semantics now (how unusual for this
group)

...snipped...
...current amplitude crosses zero, and with zero current,
there can be no flow direction.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Well, if we also bring relativity and quantum mechanics into this
discussion, it would be fair to say that at any given time the current
might be flowing in any direction you'd care to choose, and what's
more, we have no way of telling so!