Charles Spitzer

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

"Trent©" wrote in message
On 11 Nov 2003 11:02:09 -0800, (Ray Kinzler)
wrote:

My guess is that there will be more than enough suggestions in the
book I ordered as well as the others mentioned that I will know what
to use on the inside.

Coupla more suggestions, Ray...

1. Put slides on all the shelves in the base cabinet. Makes it real
convenient to get at things at the back.

2. Build 'baskets' to mount to the insides of the base cabinet
doors...for things that you'll wanna git to very often...like wax
paper and other wrapping rolls, Windex, sponges, etc.

3. Don't forget to install a kick plate.

4. Think about building a coupla pull-out cutting boards.

If yer gonna BUY the doors, buy them first...then build your shell
size and openings around the doors.

But I think I have another question. Should I
use that, what's it called, melemaine or somehting like that? How
does it hold screws? I would be afraid that it would be very easy to
strip the hole. Would it maybe be a decent idea to use 3/4" plywood
and cover the inside with something like white formica?

Definitely use plywood. The inside can be lined with all manner of
thing...contact paper, etc.

Good luck...you'll have fun.

P.S. Consider building a separate cabinet for the microwave. That's
what I did...a 2 tier. Micro on the top...under it a counter top and
pull-out cutting board...big drawer under that...2 sliding shelves
behind doors under that. Sits next to the stove. Micro is eye level.

i put it behind a tambour door, with a countertop space level with the
bottom of the microwave just next to it. that makes it easy to set something
down when putting things in or taking things out, and you can hide it
easily. make the cabinet above it be the full depth of the counter, and then
make the tambour door flush with the cabinet doors above and below.

Have a nice week...

Trent

regards,
charlie