Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bench Drill died - any suggestions ?

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Adrian Brentnall explained on 02/09/2009 :
Fine in theory - but not so great when you're out here in the far
south-west of Ireland... and it was couriered here by CPC from the UK

Sorry, didn't realise. Your local laws may also be different.

No problem - good point about local SOGA.....

With the belt reinstalled, and the tension set to the slackest
possible, the drill will 'just about' start - but never gets anywhere
near to full speed speed and can be stalled with the lightest of
finger-pressure against the chuck.

A final check would be to make sure the motor has the full mains
voltage at its terminals, before condemning it completely.

That's a thought - might have a look later...

If without the belt on it spins up to full speed, and then it has torque
- that would still point to a starting cap failure. If at speed it still
lacks torque then it could be a supply problem or a damaged winding.

It's easy enough to test the capacitor if you can disconnect it.
Can you read off the value of it (should be stamped on the motor
rating plate)? If it let out a smell when it died, it may be
obviously dead anyway when you get access to it.

Mine is a 510W motor and the plate claims it has a 75uF capacitor for
240V operation (or 12uF for 415V operation, but I'm not doing that).
The website David identified shows a 250W model.

Actually, I just went to look, and found that mine has two capacitors
attached to the motor, which got me curious. I removed the cover from
the first one, and sure enough it is a 75uF capacitor. So I looked in
the second one, and find it has the 12uF capacitor for 415V operation.
Not sure if they are start or start and run capacitors. (I'd already
put the covers back on before I thought to check that.)

--
Andrew Gabriel