Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 220v conversion question

Thanks guys. This is my home shop but I don't want to do the 4 wire
work so I guess I'll live with it. It just seems kind of silly. Maybe
I can find some 220 fractional hp motors to run my feed tables.

On Sep 1, 10:55*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Slightly OT but relevant.

I am a no nothing in terms of electrical. I can properly wire a plug
or wall sockets but don't understand the flow, grounding, etc. Just
never studied it. But on a related topic, I have always wondered why
my planer and my big sander have a 220 line to run the big moter and a
110 line to run the feed table. I asked on of the Mfg's if there was a
way to wire the 110 from the 220 and they clearly ran and hide, saying
don't ask us.

So I ask here. Is there some way to "properly" do this? Can I put an
onboard converter or something. I would really like to eliminate the
two cords scenario because I am constantly juggling machines because
of my space restrictions and it is a big hassle with two plugs.

On Sep 1, 6:56*am, Chris Friesen wrote:

On 09/01/2009 05:25 AM, Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

I just had an upgrade for my electric service to a 200 Amp panel as
part of an HVAC upgrade. *At the same time, I had the electrician put
in 2 220 circuits and 2 120 circuits for my shop (lights were already
separate). *Last night I switched over my table saw to 220. *Wow,
start up is almost instant.

If it makes that much difference, there was probably something wrong
with the 120V circuit or wire size. *If everything was sized properly
there shouldn't really be any difference.

The question: I plan to switch over my bandsaw to 220 as well. *What
happens to the gooseneck lamp? *The switch over instructions don't
mention it. *Rewiring for the motor is pretty straightfoward. *Am I
missing something?

My bandsaw has a separate plug for the lamp. *If it's not mentioned
they're probably using the safety ground as a neutral which you're not
really supposed to do.

Chris- Hide quoted text -