Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 220v conversion question

In article , "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Slightly OT but relevant.

I am a no nothing in terms of electrical. I can properly wire a plug
or wall sockets but don't understand the flow, grounding, etc. Just
never studied it. But on a related topic, I have always wondered why
my planer and my big sander have a 220 line to run the big moter and a
110 line to run the feed table. I asked on of the Mfg's if there was a
way to wire the 110 from the 220 and they clearly ran and hide, saying
don't ask us.

So I ask here. Is there some way to "properly" do this? Can I put an
onboard converter or something. I would really like to eliminate the
two cords scenario because I am constantly juggling machines because
of my space restrictions and it is a big hassle with two plugs.

Yes, there is. How easy it will be depends on whether the 240V circuit (not
"220") supplying the machine has a neutral or not. If not, you'll need a new
circuit.

Assuming that you have a four-wire 240V circuit available (two hot legs,
neutral, and ground), install a 4-conductor receptacle on that circuit, and a
4-conductor plug and cord on the machine. Connect the planer motor to the two
hot wires; connect the feed-table motor to one of the hot wires (it doesn't
matter which one) and the neutral wire. Connect the ground wire to the frame
of the unit.