Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Edelenbos Ed Edelenbos is offline

Default 220v conversion question

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
I just had an upgrade for my electric service to a 200 Amp panel as
part of an HVAC upgrade. At the same time, I had the electrician put
in 2 220 circuits and 2 120 circuits for my shop (lights were already
separate). Last night I switched over my table saw to 220. Wow,
start up is almost instant.

The question: I plan to switch over my bandsaw to 220 as well. What
happens to the gooseneck lamp? The switch over instructions don't
mention it. Rewiring for the motor is pretty straightfoward. Am I
missing something?

I am no electrical expert but iIwould guess it will work OK. If you have
normal residental home wiring you will actually have 2- 110 volt lines
going to your BS. Add them up and you get 220 volts. The lamp will
probably continue to have 1 single 110 volt line going to it.

Electric ovens and ranges have the same set up.

What he said. I'm in Baltimore and on the same lines as you, Dave.

Ed