Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
james james is offline

Default patronising digital advert

In message , Adrian
writes
james wrote:
In message , Brian
Gaff writes
Can one complain to the ASA about stuff on the BBC?

Naw. Some can whinge about jeopardy posting, though. JF

You're being an arsehole, Brian has no choice about top posting as he's
blind. As you would know if you bothered to ask instead of making snide
comments.

My dear Adrian. Your outrage is wholly understandable; wholly
commendable; and, alas, wholly misplaced. I know more than most about
using the Usenet when blind than most because I have been blind. I used
to use JAWS (IMS: Job Application With Speech) as a Usenet client which
depended on correct usage of the Usenet's attribution carets to be of
any use. I daresay later machines are better but there are still many
thousands of JAWS machines in use out there.

Jeopardy posting used to drive an old friend of mine mad, Richard
Christopher, of the RNIB (he's working on the Moon project and Pelham at
the moment) to drink! So much so that he was moved to send a plea to all
jeopardy posters he encountered requesting that they he encountered. You
can read his plea at:

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm

I must take issue with you regarding your comment: 'Brian has no choice
about top posting'. Not to put too find a point on it, this is
patronising in the extreme towards blind people and their problems. When
I set out to be playwright I went to lot of trouble to ensure that my
plays would stand on their own merit so I took care to ensure that there
was nothing about the typescript to indicate that I was blind.

I think from the foregoing that I can safely say that my 'arseholeness'
is questionable and that your comment: 'As you would know if you
bothered to ask instead of making snide comments' does cause a certain
well-known phrase about kettles and their colour to spring readily to
mind.

I won't repeat it because I never resort to trotting out insults. They
tend to say more about the insulter rather than the insultee and might
make me look incredibly stupid when I get taken to the cleaners.

Cheers

--
James Follett. http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk
"There is perhaps no phenomenon which contains so much destructive