Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson Peter Duncanson is offline

Default patronising digital advert

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 00:26:37 +0100, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:06:19 +0000 (UTC), J G Miller
wrote:

I saw it before it was pulled. It is both humorous and informative.
The humour outweighs any hint of patronisation.

No, that's not possible in today's world. Suppose the film featured a black
person who was depicted as characteristically lazy and stupid, but was very
funny? That wouldn't be allowed would it?

I realised after I posted that one big difference between the Fox
(American) commercial and the BBC one described is that the Fox one had
a voiceover giving instructions and an old lady, and her wires, becoming
confused. There was no one else on screen. It was open to viewers of all
ages to think "I'd be just as confused as her".

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)