Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default patronising digital advert

Its also aimed at disabled people as well I've been told. and its seemingly
OK to be patronising to us as well, from the sort of literature some of my
friends have seen in libraries etc, about the scheme.

Whatever happened to dignity and tolerence?

Are we merely there as figures of fun?
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I've just seen an advert on BBC-1 for the government's digital switchover
help scheme. This is intended to help those over 75 make the switch from
analogue to digital TV. The advert showed a garulous old fool who seemed
to lack social awareness and common sense. The young relative and the
young engineer exchanged meaningful glances, as if to say, "She can't help
being daft; she's old." How incredibly patronising and insulting this is
to the very people they claim to be helping. It seems that in modern
Britain, whilst racism is almost a capital offence, ageism is officially
condoned.

Incidentally, anyone with elderly friends or relatives who don't use the
net but might benefit from sensible non-patronising advice about analogue
switch-off should help them access the information on
www.paras.org.uk

Bill