Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard W. Jones Richard W. Jones is offline

Default patronising digital advert

I don't really see what the problem is with this advert, though I'm in
my mid-30s. There's another advert, which I'm surprised nobody on here
has picked up on, and features the double gold-winning Paralympian
Ellie Simmonds. The ad begins with her talking to some man about her
achievements, and it's then revealed that he's installing a Freeview
box for her. One of her lines then is "Oh I don't know, I couldn't do
what you're doing". I think we try to over-analyse these things, and
look for offence where it probably doesn't exist ("if you're not
prepared to be offended by this, I order you to be, or I'll be
offended for you"). My opinion of these ads is that they're
deliberately light-hearted in order to make the discussion of the tech
(the DSO) a little less frightening.