Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
John John is offline

Default Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

On Aug 18, 8:44*am, Art Todesco wrote:
Yard Guy wrote:
I remember seeing these propane-powered mosquito traps at local big-box
hardware stores a few years ago, but I don't think I've seen any of them
lately. *They retailed for around $300 and up to $450 if I remember
correctly. *Some brand names include Skeeter Vac and Mosquito Magnet.

The premis is that they gave off a carbon-monoxide (or co2?) scent (by
burning propane) which would attract mosquitoes into a one-way bag where
they'd die. *Some of the claims were that one unit was good for about an
acre of coverage.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed. *Some claim it catches everything but
mosquitoes, some claim it works great on them. *Many don't like the
ongoing cost of replacing sticky paper.

Some employ some combination (or all?) of these methods: *heat, co2,
octenol, lactic acid, suction, blinking lights, sticky paper.

What's the verdict on these things? *Are they effective?

When I lived in the Chicago area, a
local TV station did a test of various
mosquito units. *As I recall, they found
these units to work real well. *On
the down side, they were expensive and
expensive to run. *They found
that the bug zappers not to do as well
(I'm digging this out from about 3
years ago, so it might not be real
accurate). *Also, the one thing I remember
is that products like "Bug Free
Backyard" work almost as well and are
very cheap comparatively. *You do have
to apply them every 3 weeks
or so. *I've used this stuff in the
Chicago suburbs and
have been very happy with the results
.... probably poisoning me and
everything around me.- Hide quoted text -

Have you considred building bat houses? Environmentally friendly,
affordable, and feuled by mosquitos... Bats eat a thousand mosquitos
a night, and are rumored to be much more effective than birds at
eliminating mosquitos (as they don't eat as many dragonflies). All
you need is a reliable water source for them and some cedar, and some
non-squeemish family members. Apperently they also eat some of those
grub-laying beetles that ruin you lawn.

John