Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

On Aug 18, 8:44*am, Art Todesco wrote:
Yard Guy wrote:
I remember seeing these propane-powered mosquito traps at local big-box
hardware stores a few years ago, but I don't think I've seen any of them
lately. *They retailed for around $300 and up to $450 if I remember
correctly. *Some brand names include Skeeter Vac and Mosquito Magnet.

The premis is that they gave off a carbon-monoxide (or co2?) scent (by
burning propane) which would attract mosquitoes into a one-way bag where
they'd die. *Some of the claims were that one unit was good for about an
acre of coverage.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed. *Some claim it catches everything but
mosquitoes, some claim it works great on them. *Many don't like the
ongoing cost of replacing sticky paper.

Some employ some combination (or all?) of these methods: *heat, co2,
octenol, lactic acid, suction, blinking lights, sticky paper.

What's the verdict on these things? *Are they effective?

When I lived in the Chicago area, a
local TV station did a test of various
mosquito units. *As I recall, they found
these units to work real well. *On
the down side, they were expensive and
expensive to run. *They found
that the bug zappers not to do as well
(I'm digging this out from about 3
years ago, so it might not be real
accurate). *Also, the one thing I remember
is that products like "Bug Free
Backyard" work almost as well and are
very cheap comparatively. *You do have
to apply them every 3 weeks
or so. *I've used this stuff in the
Chicago suburbs and
have been very happy with the results
.... probably poisoning me and
everything around me.- Hide quoted text -

Have you considred building bat houses? Environmentally friendly,
affordable, and feuled by mosquitos... Bats eat a thousand mosquitos
a night, and are rumored to be much more effective than birds at
eliminating mosquitos (as they don't eat as many dragonflies). All
you need is a reliable water source for them and some cedar, and some
non-squeemish family members. Apperently they also eat some of those
grub-laying beetles that ruin you lawn.

John
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Yard Guy wrote:
[...]

Bats carry some pretty lethal diseases.

Bats eat a thousand mosquitos a night, and are rumored to be
much more effective than birds at eliminating mosquitos (as they
don't eat as many dragonflies). All you need is a reliable water
source for them and some cedar, and some non-squeemish
family members. Apperently they also eat some of those
grub-laying beetles that ruin you lawn.

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

John wrote:

Have you considred building bat houses?

I've got nothing against bats, and wouldn't mind if there were bats
flying around my place at night (there might very well be - I don't know
- it's hard to see when it's dark out).

But it's a fallacy that bats eat lots of mosquitoes.

I have no doubt that in more tropical or sub-tropical areas, rural, lots
of standing water, marshes, etc, that there are clouds of mosquitoes
where the bats can just fly around with their mouths open and collect
dozens of mosquitoes in a single pass and repeat that several times a
minute for several hours.

But in the northern half of the US and southern Canada, in urban or even
suburban residential back yards, you're not going to have these dense
clouds of mosquites and large open flyways for the bats to swoop in with
their mouths open and collect them.

Individual mosquitoes are too small to be detected by the bat's
echo-location system, and a single mosquito wouldn't give the bat enough
calories to make the effort worth it.