Charlie Self

Default What does sliding Miter Saw do over a non sliding saw

Steve Knight responds:

it's not as accurate for precision cuts as a non slider. the blade and
motor will will have some lateral slop, in relation to the wood and
table. I quit using my non-slider for super precise cross-cuts. I made
a sled and use the TS for accurate cross-cuts. Like to within .005 or
better.

my makita is as accurate as you are going to get with a good blade. I don't
find
the saw flexing at all. it blew away my delta chopsaws for accuracy and they
were not sliders.

Yeah, well, when I tested a bunch of these a couple years ago, I did find that
you could more easily twist the handles on the sliders to force the cut off the
proper line.

Given anything like proper technique, I found NO difference in the better
quality sliders and non-sliders. The lower quality units weren't all that bad,
but needed more care in handling and more frequent tuning (which isn't nearly
as bad as tuning an RAS, because the slider mechanisms on the SCMSs are
simpler).

I was able to twist every saw off its proper line, so a gentle hand and a
straight downward pressure (in the direction of the line of the cut) is a real
help with these tools.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things." Sir Winston Churchill