Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Brass cleanout plugs

On Aug 30, 2:54*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

On Aug 30, 4:51 am, "DanG" wrote:

Our plumbers might try one half hearted time to turn out a brass
plug. If it doesn't turn first lick, the next tool is a hammer
with a chisel. They are kinda meant to be expendable.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

. ..

I have a few brass cleanout plugs on cast iron risers, they
probably have not been opened in 30 years and would not come out.
I tried a 18" wrench and even a chisel with a hammer to try to
drift it open and it would not move an inch. Soaked with WD-40
let sit for an hour tried again no luck.

I think my only option left is a desctructive method.

Can I drill a hole and start a cut with sawzall to cut a piece
out (like a slice of cake)? and then use a plier to pull it out
once a slice is removed? I don't care about the plug I can
replace it with PVC plugs, but I don't want to destroy the
threads (or whatever threads are left).

MC- Hide quoted text -

Yes use a hammer on the edge of it a few times soak in wd40 then
tighten a then lossen , if no success use chisel on very edge of plug
and hammer it out replace with abs plug use vasiline on the threads to
stop this problem .

I don't care about the plug I can replace it. *But I cannot get it out no
matter what I tried. *I did not hammer it REAL hard I didn't want to crack
the cast riser and turn this small problem into a bug problem.

There is no edge exposed in that the plug is recessed deeper than the edge
of the riser, the only access I have is from the top, and it has a square
knob but my largest plier would not even do anything.

MC-

Sorry to not answer your original questions...yes, you can cut the
plug out.

I use saw cuts at 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock

Make cuts only deep enough to just kiss the the cast iron. The
chisel, pry or twist the pieces out.

When you install the new plug, use a soft set dope compatible with the
plastic plug (or use brass)

cheers
Bob