Bay Area Dave

Default What does sliding Miter Saw do over a non sliding saw

I use the fence with a 1" aux fence to set the length. when the board
is cut, it is not in contact with either fence. that would be stupid.
the aux fence is short and is placed towards the operator's end of the
main fence. slide the work piece across the sled, up against the aux
fence. move forward and then you clear the aux fence before the blade
contacts the workplace. very elegant. quick. super accurate.

what I originally mentioned in this thread (to paraphrase myself) is
that a non slider is more accurate than a slider, but not accurate
enough for my tastes, except for less demanding work.

dave

dave

RWM wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...

as long as YOU are happy with the accuracy that's all that matters. I
don't even use my Dewalt CMS for precise cross-cuts. I use a sled. By
using a moving blade and the Bies fence I can quickly cut a number of
boards to exact length and the cut is cleaner than what comes off my
Dewalt, even using an 80 tooth blade. A moving WWII gives a better cut
than the 80 Dewalt. Plus the DeWalt is thin kerf and it WILL flex when
cutting wider boards, even those that aren't very thick, and YES, even
if I go pretty slowly. Take a straight edge to a 6" board (baltic birch
comes to mind) cut on a non-slider, using a thin kerf blade, and look at
the bow in the cut. I suppose if I slow WAAAY down so that it takes
forever to get the blade through, the cut would be straight. I'm not
that patient. I'm also not forcing it; after cutting too fast, I slowed
down, figuring the cuts would be acceptable; they weren't and that day I
built a sled.

I stand by the statement that the slider is less accurate. Read up on
them. I don't really care how YOU 'feel' about yours, I've observed
them and wouldn't buy one for precision work. Would I buy one if I was
a contractor framing a house. Yeah!

You seem to have an interesting way of non answering. The topic was sliding
miter saws vs. non-sliding miter saws, not miter saws vs. cross cut sleds on
a table saw. My question was if you had measured the accuracy difference,
or if you were parroting something that you had read. From your answer it
is pretty clear that you have read about the accuracy of sliding miter saws,
and you have measured the accuracy of the cut that you get with your
non-slider, but it sounds like you have never investigated the difference
between sliders and non-sliders. I wonder why you felt you had information
to add to the slider vs. non-slider comparison.

I also don't understand the following:

"I use a sled. By using a moving blade and the Bies fence I can quickly cut
a number of boards to exact length."

Are you using a sled, the fence, or both to cross cut?

Bob McBreen