Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brass cleanout plugs

On Aug 29, 10:35*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I have a few brass cleanout plugs on cast iron risers, they probably have
not been opened in 30 years and would not come out. *I tried a 18" wrench
and even a chisel with a hammer to try to drift it open and it would not
move an inch. *Soaked with WD-40 let sit for an hour tried again no luck.

I think my only option left is a desctructive method.

Can I drill a hole and start a cut with sawzall to cut a piece out (like a
slice of cake)? *and then use a plier to pull it out once a slice is
removed? *I don't care about the plug I can replace it with PVC plugs, but
I don't want to destroy the threads (or whatever threads are left).

MC

The threads may already be shot. *I'd try heat next. *Lots of heat.

I would heat the pipe up with a good torch, and then put some ice on
the plug to shrink it. The a wrench and a long extension on the plug
and an accomplice to hit the plug with a hammer.