Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default Switching GFCI devices

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 8/29/2009 8:09 AM John Gilmer spake thus:

I mentioned that to the electrician (licensed, experiences, etc) and
he basically said that 15 amp "light" switches can be properly used
on a 20 amp circuit.

Where did he get that idea?

That one doesn't even pass the common-sense test. If a device is rated for
15 amps, how is it OK to use it on a circuit drawing (potentially) 20
amps?

Well, there seem to be some special rules for 15/20 amp stuff. For
example, a 15 amp outlet can "pass thru" juice to a 20 amp outlet. A 15
amp outlet can be on a 20 amp circuit.

Now, I could see using a 15 amp switch on a 15-amp circuit (meaning one
connected to a 15 amp breaker) but wired with #12 wire. Is that what the
electrician meant?

Nope!

I implied by error the conversation I had was recent. It actually took
place about 2 years ago. I had some switched outlets and I couldn't find
20 amp SPST switches. That's when he told me I could put 15 amp rated
switches on a 20 amp #12 wire circuit.