Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Cutting cast iron pipe

If you own a small angle grinder, 4-5", get a few weld cutting
disks. They will zip through the cast iron and a fairly easy to
control.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
news
I have a 3" cast iron vent pipe that I need to cut in order to
rework some plumbing. I used a sawzall with a cast iron blade by
Lenox and was able to cut through it after about 5 minutes.
Unfortunately I did not start the cut evenly (it is a vertical
pipe so I must have held it not perfectly horizontally) and the
cut was a bit slanted. I noticed it after the cut was half way
but I have no choice but to continue and get through the cut.
Now the high end is about 5/8" higher then the low end.

I plan to use a no hub coupling to join with a PVC pipe, and I
do not want the gap to be more than 1/4" since I might one day
need to snake the line and I don't want a cutting head to slide
through the 5/8" space and end up cutting the no hub rubber
sleeve even if I have a metal shield outside I rather get the
cast iron cut end to within 1/4".

I have two choices - to do a new cut and this time try to cut it
evenly, but I am very close to a sanitary tee if I mis-cut again
I will have to replace that too...or I can use an angle grinder
to grind the edge even, but I am wondering can I really use a
metal wheel to grind even a 3" CI pipe that is 5/8" off?

Thanks in advance for any advise,

MC