Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Switching GFCI devices

wrote:
If you use the switch to cut power to the outlet, then you will also be
switching off everything down stream (connected to the "Load" side of the
device. You would need to be sure that the switch is rated for 15 or 20
amps depending on the rating of the circuit you are installing it on.

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 07:33:35 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...
Hi:

Because of a specific problem, I picked up a combination SPST switch and
GFCI single outlet with a "load" connection.

Anyway, the instructions clearly say that one should NOT use the switch to
control the input to the GFCI.

Why should that be a problem?

If what you have is similar to the Leviton brand that I buy, it may be that
the switch rating is lower than the outlet rating. Just a guess, but it
seems like the switch is pretty light duty.

Hi,
As a result GFCI may trip.