Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default GFCI in ceiling...

A GFCI breaker is a good idea for the whole house. They compare the current out on the Phase lines with the return current on the
Neutral line. They are rated with the amount of imbalance they will tolerate before tripping. Please remember that 50 ma across
your heart is deadly, so the breaker should be for tolerance less than that. It is not necessary for all your breakers to be
ground fault capable, only one, the 100 amp main breaker. In that way, all service outlets and loads down stream will have this
protection. For clarity a 100 amp GFCI breaker rated at 30ma will trip under two conditions. One, when the 100 amp service is
exceeded or two, at any time an imbalance exceeding 30 ma exists. In the case of a fault, all breakers need to be manually
tripped. Then, reset the 100 amp GFCI breaker. After that, reset each breaker one at a time until the GFCI breaker trips again.
The circuit fed by that breaker will be the source of the ground fault. This process is then repeated with the individual loads on
that circuit until the main breaker trips again identifying the offending load.
Steve

"stryped" wrote in message ...
Inspector told me I need my outlets for lights and future garage door
opener in the ceiling GFCI protected. My 100 amp panel I bought comes
with 4 20 amp breakers as well as the 100 amp main breaker.

Obviously installign GCI outlets in the ceiling is out because if they
trip I would have to get a ladder to reset it.

Probably the best thing to do is to go and buy some GFCI breakers.

I also have the option on at least one circuit to install a GFCI
outlet along the wall and wire that to the ceiling outlets. But this
seems like it is not the "right" way to do it. Someone other than me
might not figure out if the ceilign outlets tripped, where to reset
them?

What would you do?