Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

In article ,
Max Demian writes:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:11:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Max Demian writes:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:31:47 +0000 (UTC),

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

[...]

There really is nothing technologically on the horizon which
allows you to make a 100W [equivalent] retrofit GLS LED lamp
though. Widespread LED lighting will require new purpose-
designed luminares to solve the thermal design issues which
come with LEDs.

You're the second person to use the word 'luminaire' in this thread
today. I've never heard it before. You learn something new every day.

Sorry, it's lighting industry jargon for a light fitting (and
I mistyped it anyway;-)

No need to apologise. It's in my 1972 Chambers as a synonym for light
fitting: I just have never met it before

Also, 'lamp' is lighting industry jargon for a light bulb.

and 'bulb' is lighting industry jargon for the outer glass
of a 'lamp', or a small battery torch bulb, or something you
plant in the garden and grows into a flower, but not for a
light bulb;-)

I thought the glass bit was the 'envelope' - or is that just
(thermionic) valves?

That is also used in the context of the outer glass bulb.
It's perhaps a little bit old-fashioned, but I still use it
where it can be less ambiguous than 'bulb' in mixed company.

--
Andrew Gabriel