Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Cynic Cynic is offline

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:17:20 +0100, bof
wrote:

LEDs are inherently more directional than other forms of lighting.
That is in fact a good thing, because any light that is illuminating
areas you don't *need* to be illuminated is wasted energy. Coverage
angles are increased either by mounting several LEDs at different
angles, or with suitable optics (usually diffuser/lens combination,
which increases the price).

As far as car running lights go, they are rubbish. Look at the angle of
view they disapear at on a Mercedes. It is very narrow.

At night I find the on/off flickering of LED brake lights particularly
annoying

I have never noticed such an effect. Are you sure it is not that the
driver has a light pressure on the brake pedal? Any brake light will
flicker under that condition.

I've not found the directional quality to be an issue in any road
situation I have encountered so far. Cars that are at a sufficient
angle to render the lights invisible are generally in a position where
you don't need to see their lights.

--
Cynic