Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
bof bof is offline

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

In message , Huge
writes
On 2009-08-28, Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
Paul Hyett wrote:

IMO energy-saving bulbs aren't all they're cracked up to be, anyway.

They might not actually *fail* for a long time, but they fade over time,

No that's just you getting older.

I SAID THAT'S JUST oh never mind.

*grin*

But the OP has a point. The 23W one in the luminaire outside my front door
just failed (after not much more than a year - I have now started writing
the dates on these bulbs so I know how long they really last)

I initially had a lot of trouble with CFLs not lasting long, but not had
any fail for a year or two now, I suspect if they pass the 'infant
mortality' end of the bathtub curve they probably do last a long time.

Although thinking about the voltage sub-thread, the voltage has been a
lot more stable here lately (since a join in the street was replaced a
year or two ago), so that might be something to do with it.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk