Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default '69 Olds 442 Idle Problem

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:59:09 -0700, the infamous JR North
scrawled the following:

Kudus for all the good replies.

Huh? Y'mean "kudos", Jace? vbg
http://www.wildlife-pictures-online....-0010_blog.jpg

I vote for 2 problems:
1. Problem started after 1st ditributor replacement: Timing is off.
Going through several mechanics-must be basic, thus unfound. Verify
TDC #1-ck balancer

This is one I'd never seen while wrenching, but I have heard of it
happening.

2. Vacuum leak-definately. Big one, too. I vote for brake booster.
HVAC -not enough to materially affect idle. Intake manifolds replaced;
unlikely but possible leaks bottom side of intake runners at head
ports. PCV valve wide open-probable.

Yeah, vacuum leaks are #2 for rough or no idle after clogged idle jet
circuits (in unrebuildable Holleys. I didn't see many open brake
boosters but saw lots of loose or split vacuum hoses, missing caps,
misrouted vacuum lines, and open EGR valves in later models. I'd vote
for the leak at the new Edelbrock intake. I saw that a whole lot.

BTW: aint noth'n wrong with Qjets.

Yeah, I much preferred Rottenchesters to Holleys for GM products.

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On