Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:31:47 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Clot" writes:
Steve Terry wrote:
By Sep 2012 new technology LED lamps should be in full production

that's just 3 years but I'd like your optimism to be true!

It's a promise the LED lighting industry has broken for every
one of the last 20 years!

There are some reasonably efficient LEDs in the lab, and
available at really stupid prices. You have to wait for patents
to age or expire before they can become consumer products though.

There really is nothing technologically on the horizon which
allows you to make a 100W [equivalent] retrofit GLS LED lamp
though. Widespread LED lighting will require new purpose-
designed luminares to solve the thermal design issues which
come with LEDs.

You're the second person to use the word 'luminaire' in this thread
today. I've never heard it before. You learn something new every day.

--
Max Demian