Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

In article ,
Frank Erskine writes:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:01:52 +0100, "Steve Terry"
had this to say:

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

The ban is only on bulbs over 75w

Apparently not - it's all _GLS_ pearl/frosted bulbs.

SES will probably not be classed as GLS, nor will ES, BICBW.

The term GLS (General Lighting Service) includes all standard
pear-shaped and mushroom-shaped lamps with clear or pearl or
white painted finishes. There are no SES versions, but there
are ES (and GES) versions. It does not cover coloured versions
of these lamps.

All the SES filament lamps I can think of come under the
categories of Decorative lamps (e.g. candle, golf ball, etc),
reflector lamps (e.g. R30, R40), and Special Purpose lamps
(e.g. pygmy, oven, fridge, cooker hood, etc).

As I've commented before, the sales of all these decorative
and special purpose filament lamps has been falling dramatically
in any case. This, combined with many of them having been
manufactured in the same facilities as GLS lamps which are
ramping down, means you should assume they will become harder
to find over time, even in the absence of any ban.

A German colleague tells me there's been a big fuss about it
over there, and several of the retailers have stocked up with
many year's worth of the banned lamps. (It becomes illegal
to manufacture or import, but not to sell them.)

--
Andrew Gabriel