Tom Kohlman

Default What does sliding Miter Saw do over a non sliding saw

I have the DW 12" non-slider so don't know much about the slider. But
doesn't the slider also have a blade height stop so it acts kinda like a RAS
if you want to cut rough dados? Other than that, I can imagine it also has
the drawbacks of the RAS in terms of a little more flex and a few more
adjustments to make to keep it perfectly tuned. As for the price, either
lying, got a great deal or is something wrong with it!!! I believe it
retails for over $600 new (maybe closer to $700 but I can't remember).

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
om...
it's not as accurate for precision cuts as a non slider. the blade and
motor will will have some lateral slop, in relation to the wood and
table. I quit using my non-slider for super precise cross-cuts. I made
a sled and use the TS for accurate cross-cuts. Like to within .005 or
better.

Note: The published maximum width you can cut a flat board on a non
slider can be exceeded. Just put a board under your wide work piece;
that will place the workplace at a wider section of the blade. Look at
a miter saw to visualize this.

dave

PeterM wrote:

I have a chance to buy a 12" sliding DeWalt Miter Saw with a rollaway
table with wheels etc for 350.- I'm just wondering if I need the sliding
feature or not.......Any help will be appreciated