Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Cynic Cynic is offline

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:09:59 GMT, Paul Hyett
wrote:

IMO energy-saving bulbs aren't all they're cracked up to be, anyway.

They might not actually *fail* for a long time, but they fade over time,
shortening their useful life that way.

As I have posted before, forget CFLs. Wait a short while and there
will be plenty of LED room lighting options. LEDs are more energy
efficient, provide a better quality of light (IMO), may be dimmed, and
are less polluting both in manufacture and in disposal.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that we will see LED lights that are
plug-in replacements for incandecent bulbs any time soon - except
perhaps a type that compromises so greatly on efficiency that they are
poor substitutes. There are some tricky technical problems that will
need to be overcome first. So you'll need to replace the entire
fitting.

--
Cynic