Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

In message ,
Bambleweeny57 writes
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:59:08 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:19:13 +0100, Phil Stovell
had this to say:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:04:52 +0100, chunkyoldcortina wrote:

Sam wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above
would be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in
Sainsbury's last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources
in rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of
other wattages that will be banned.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes
on Ebay I should imagine.

Provided you get 240V or 250V versions.

230V versions won't last long...

UK mains voltage *is* 230v.

_Mine_ isn't. It's about 240V.

Yours must be special then

UK voltage varies between around 220 to over 250. One of the commonest
reasons for voltage to drop (deliberately at least) is for the power
companies to reduce load slightly at peaks hours.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/
What_is_the_household_AC_electrical_power_mains_v oltage_in_the_UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_p...ound_the_world

Indeed, the UK mains voltage is now 230V. However, the tolerance
specification is such that, in practice, no changes were required when
the voltage was 'reduced' from the original 240V.
--
Ian