Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default '69 Olds 442 Idle Problem

oldjag wrote:

SNIP

Any
Quadrajet/Olds experts out there care to weigh in?

All carbs tested could not get a good idle. Any 4 BBL carb should get a
smooth idle on a V-8, as jets do not affect the idle circuit, unless the
power valve is opening.

Check Harmonic balancer for slippage. (i.e. is TDC really TDC?)

What kind of gas is he using? My 442 I used to have had 10.5:1
compression, and would knock like hell unless using at least 96 octane.
Wrong fix is retard initial timing, and delay mechanical advance. Causes
low vacuum, poor idle.

How is the vacuum advance hooked up, ported or direct?

What idle speed are the readings obtained from? Should be about 625-650
rpm in park, and about 600 in drive.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)