Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default Yamaha Piano pedal mechanism

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
Sylvia Else wrote:
The sustaining pedal on my Yamaha electronic piano is become rather
flaky. Sometimes it doesn't sustain when pressed.

So I disassembled the piano enough to get at the mechanism, (removed 12
screws, and 6 bolts), and was rather surprised to see that the business
end consists of a potentiometre.

I'm not really surprised that it's failing. In fact, the surprise is that
it's lasted so long. When a piano is played, the sustaining pedal is in
constant use. I can't help feeling potentiometres were never designed
with that kind of use in mind.

The design seems rather primitive.

Sylvia.

At least Yamaha are willing to supply just the pot. I was expecting them
to want to supply a complete replacement pedal mechanism, at some
exorbitant price.

Spares guy described it as a "volume" pot for the sustaining pedal

None in stock here, though - order from Japan - takes 4 weeks.

So much for supporting their product.

**How old is it? Beyond 7 years (or is it 5 now?) they don't have to do
diddly about spare parts supply, if they don't want to.

From the ACCC web site

"What is ‘reasonably available’ will depend on the particular
circumstances, such as the nature of the product and its expected useful
life. There is no minimum period for a manufacturer or importer to
provide facilities and spare parts for repair. However, a manufacturer
or importer will remain liable for damages for up to 10 years if the
failure to provide repair facilities and parts is found to be unreasonable."

This is a piano we're talking about, not an iPod. It cost not much shy
of $5000 seven years ago. I'd be surprised if a court found that it was
reasonable to cease supplying parts so soon.

Just appreciate that
they can get you the right part in 4 weeks. I could tell you stories about
ather brands, whose products have only been on the market for less than 2
years and the parts are NLA. Yamaha, IME, are one of the better companies
for spare parts support.

OTOH, let your fingers do the walking and look through the Farnell
cattle-dog. They have some very superior quality parts, which you may be
able coax into the right spot.

Maybe, though when I went through Farnell's site yesterday, and
considered the mechanical requirements, I couldn't find anything suitable.

Sylvia.